Lunes, Setyembre 3, 2018

IM Nailing : Tibia and Fibula Fracture

June 3, 2018. We were warming up for volleyball. Went on to spike some balls. On my
second attempt, I landed on someone else’s foot. My leg twisted and I heard a snap. In
that instance, I knew that I broke my left leg. I heard my bone snap. They called in the
ambulance. I was brought to the nearest hospital and was given morphine to manage
the pain. Pain was a bit too much for me that they had to give me more of morphine
and laughing gas in the emergency room. Honestly, I didn’t think it helped a lot.


Orthopaedic surgeon came to assess my leg and told me that I will need an operation
the next day. As I suspected. I was informed that a metal rod will be placed inside the
bone for fixation purposes. IM NAIL on the left tibia. That’s what is written on my
discharge papers. Operation went well. No complications or whatsoever. I was allowed
to bear weight on my bad leg 2 days after operation. That was a relief for me.
I had to wear the cam boots for protection.


FIRST WEEK. First week at home has got to be the hardest. Pain was not at all tolerable.
I couldn’t sleep well. Everytime I attempted to stand, blood seems to rush through my bad
leg followed by a burning sensation. I had to work from home. No. I wanted to work from home.
It was fine for my boss for me to take a leave but I refused. I wanted to be busy and not think
too much about the broken leg. I recommend icing the fractured area and elevating the leg
as much as possible to help with the swelling.

SECOND WEEK. I was feeling so much better. It still hurts when I walk on the bad leg but I still
try to walk on it when I have the chance. Doctor says it will encourage healing. Went to my first
post-operation hospital appointment and the doctor says I am healing well. I was told to do ankle
and knee exercises just so it won’t get too stiff. I almost forgot, my fibula was left to heal on its
own. I was quite worried because my fibula was not exactly aligned. My doctor said that it wasn’t
weight-bearing and it doesn’t really matter.


THIRD - FIFTH WEEK - Not much happened really. But I noticed that I am feeling less and less
pain as the weeks pass. Towards the fifth week, I can walk without the crutches but still with
the boots on. I go to work and outside the house with just one crutch.

SIXTH WEEK  - Time for my second post-operation check-up! I was looking forward to this
appointment. I wanted to get rid of the boots. I saw the X-ray and my fibula looked a lot better
now. Alignment, though not perfect, was a lot better and the bones seemed to have joined. My
tibia with the metal rod in it still has a gap but the doctor said that it was healing fine. I was
referred to a Physiotherapist. I started with my Physio to regain all the muscles that I have lost
along the way.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento